During the last few years we have all had to adapt to the changing world. How we buy food, how we work and especially how we communicate. This can be challenging for those of us who are hearing impaired.
Wearing masks has made it difficult to socialize and properly communicate with one another – even more so for those with hearing impairments. But, there are methods to aid all of us in this communication barrier.
For people with hearing aids keep these tips in mind when wearing your mask:
- Use a mask holder
- Be careful when putting on and taking off your mask
- Make sure your hearing aid is turned on and comfortably set
- Face those you are speaking with
- Check to see if your hearing aids manufacturer has an updated “Mask Mode”
And for those without hearing aids, apply these tips to help yourself and those with hearing aids:
- Face the person you are speaking with
- Speak clearly, slowly and loud enough
- Address the person by name when you speak to them to gain their attention better
- Ask questions and clear up any misunderstandings that may come up
- Take turns while speaking
- Use body and hand gestures more often
More helpful tips and tricks can be found in this article at HealthyHearing.com
Center for Hearing understands that the increase in the usage of masks has made communication very difficult for those with hearing impairments. We are here to help and will remain open through it all! We continue to offer exceptional cleaning protocols, air filter systems, and curbside services.