Diagnostic Hearing Evaluations
A typical hearing evaluation consists of:
- Air and bone conduction testing: Helps to determine if a problem with your inner, outer or middle ear is contributing to your hearing difficulties.
- Speech reception thresholds: Discovers the quietest level of speech you can hear 50 percent of the time.
- Speech discrimination evaluation: Investigates your ability to discriminate speech sounds at a volume that is most comfortable for you.
- Tympanometry: Through variations of air pressure in the ear canal, it determines the condition of the middle ear and the mobility of the conduction bones and the eardrum.
Other tests and procedures may include:
- Video otoscopy: This procedure involves visual inspection of the ear canal to find obstructions, wax blockages and infections. With video otoscopy, an image of your ear canal is transferred to a screen so you can examine your ear along with the audiologist.
- Otoacoustic emission evaluation: The sounds produced by the components of your inner ear are measured, allowing your audiologist to determine the level of functioning of the inner ear. With this evaluation, signs of hearing loss can be identified earlier than with most other tests.
- Cerumen (ear wax) removal: Earwax can be removed from the ear by using a simple tool or, in more serious instances, with the aid of suction or flushing devices.
- Hearing aid adjustments: To expertly program your hearing aid, the most advanced equipment is used in special sound rooms. Most modern hearing aids employ computerized digital processing.
- Hearing aid repairs: Our trained staff of audiology assistants are ready to perform basic repairs on all makes and models of hearing aids in a state-of-the-art, full-service lab. Most repairs can be completed while you wait. For extensive repairs, we’ll have the work performed by your hearing aid manufacturer and lend you an appropriate hearing aid to use until yours returns. It’s all part of our patient-centered service.
Following your test, we’ll give you a complete report of the results along with our recommendations.